The key to good health is in our diet. While exercise is important, the foods we eat can have both positive and negative effects, sometimes in surprising ways. Some of these foods, known as superfoods, have been found to have numerous health benefits. For seniors in home care, phasing these superfoods into their regular diets can be a boon towards good health.
Keep reading to learn the benefits of 5 tasty superfoods.
- Dark chocolate is not only delicious, but it’s also packed with antioxidants. It helps to prevent arteries to the heart from becoming clogged, which is a major reason for heart attacks.
- Blueberries are a fruit rich in soluble fiber. By eating them, they will help to lower cholesterol levels. Plus, they help to keep blood sugars at healthy levels.
- Asparagus is packed with a chemical known as lycopene. It’s highly beneficial, as it protects the prostate and lowers the odds of prostate cancer. Surprisingly, asparagus is also a great source of iron and protein.
- Remember your mother telling you to eat your broccoli? She knew what she was talking about, since it’s high in vitamins A, C, and K. Many parts of your body, such as bones, eyes, red blood cells, and the immune system, are strengthened by this superfood.
- In many ways, Greek yogurt has more health benefits than its American counterpart. It has less carbohydrates, more protein, and it’s full of probiotics that aid the digestive system.